- When you have citations in your website it will be more accessible to a lot of customers. It will be accessible because citations do not mean that the exact link or URL of your website is present on other websites. Citations now a day are the ones where your site is listed in business listing sites like sites where you can search for a list of businesses in a particular line of business or industry. Once your information is listed there or in local SEO, or the contact information of your business, then that is already a citation, which means possible customers can immediately reach you.
- Another reason is that you will be able to know how tight the competition already is in your industry because you will be able to search who are your top most competition, though only the ones that are using enough citations online but that would mean that those are the ones that are actively working in making their sites to be on top of search engines. The competition is actually not just to get more customers but to get on top of search engines, like Google for example. If you are someone who does a lot of research online, then you would understand how important it is for a site to be on top or even to be on the first page of search engines.
- When you have a good number or citations in the local SEO online then it is already a great validation of your business or site. One thing that you will benefit from citations for SEO purposes is that search engines will regard you as reliable because Google for example has its way of detecting the legit sites and not. The process is actually called crawling, where Google would send some crawlers or basically it is actually kind of spiders that will be sent virtually and look for valid citations. For example if your site has a lot of valid citations then you will have a big chance to be placed or will have a nice rank post in the Google. This logic, explains why you will not be able to see the same list of websites everyday if you type a certain keyword on the search bar of Google.
- Also, one reason why you need to have citations for local SEO is because you need to let the search engine, again Google for example that your site is legit and if it already acknowledges that it is legit and reliable, and then the search engine will categorise you to be in line with your line of business. This means that, for example, if your site is about makeup then if an internet user will type in makeup, then your site will come up in line with other websites that has makeup contents on their site.
- And then, the most important thing about citations is that the search engines will not only read how many links of other sites that are going to your own site, it will read plain texts that has exact name, address and other information of your website and this is how it is different to other styles or procedure in getting a rank in those search engines since that is how SEO usually works. This why also that when you make citations for your site, it should be the same exact info every time no matter how small the detail is like a period, that is how important and crucial citations are.
As Tom Buckland, a local seo expert based in Cardiff says (image right) citations are the cornerstone to a successful local seo campaign. They not only are a ranking factor in themselves but are also trust signals to Google, letting Google know you are looking for additional customers and clients. This in itself a huge benefit for building our localisation authority. Many people think they need to be a huge national authority to rank, but building localisation authority is actually more important.
Thanks for reading.